Home » Tips & Recommendations
(Recommendations by the Staff of La Casa de don David Hotel)
- Best to buy your tickets the day before for quicker entry. New regulations require the all tickets be purchased in Any Banrural Bank in Guatemala or at the Park entrance between 6 am and 6pm. This has caused a problem for those who want to take the very early and late tours that are done between 4-6am or 6-8pm, since banks are closed on Sundays and holidays.
- Tikal National Park is normally open daily for visits from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Adult tickets for foreigners cost 150 GTQ (about $20 USD at present exchange rates). Children under 10 can enter Tikal free of charge. To visit Uaxactun ruins it costs 50 GTQ. If you wish to take the daylight tour so you can’t enter the park before 6:00 AM, the ticket fee is 250 GTQ (Guatemalan Quetzals). If you wish to stay for the after 6:00 pm you pay 100GTG
- If you are planning to visit the Museum Sylvannus G Morley, remeber to buy the tickets in advanced, (At the Bank or at the entrance of Tikal Park) Worth the Price 30 GTQ pp.
- If you are not paying a guide its recommended to read info in Lonely Planet or other guide books.
- Only snacks, bottle or canned drinks are sold within the ruins area.
- Good walking shoes is very important.
- Be very careful when climbing up and down the wooden stairs
up and down the temples they get slippery when wet.
- Lunch & water, it’s good to have your lunch but remember there are no trash cans in the park. Everyone is requiered to bring out everything they take in.
- Sun protection, most trails are generally shaded but the all temples are in the bright sun.
- Recommended natural Insect repellent, a cap or hat.
- Take cash for entrance fee tickets, food & drinks. (Only Quetzales)
- Flash light if going in dark areas.
- Arrive early and enter ruins immediately. For best wildlife sighting and sunrise photos
- Take rain protection
- Remember your guide may not know and have answers to all your questions. But don’t hesitate to ask.
- If you are planning only a one day visit go early and do the ruins before noon then spend the last hours in museums.
- NOTE Most credit cards charge an international transaction fee (usually 3%) so try to travel with a card that does not charge this fee.
- Exchange your money at the bank for the best echange rate.